The Star Prize for Broadcast (Audio) recognizes outstanding audio content produced primarily for broadcast for radio, web or podcast by journalists in IFAJ member countries.
IFAJ member countries in good standing are welcome to submit one entry from members of their guilds.
• Entries must be submitted by guilds, not by individual members.
• It is up to each member country to determine how it selects its entry.
There is no entry fee.
To be eligible, the entry must:
• Be a story about some aspect of agriculture or rural life.
• The story may be the work of more than one journalist.
• Have been broadcast/posted via radio, web or podcast between January 1 and December 31, 2022.
• Have been a winning entry in a guild’s domestic award competition that was held between 1 January and 31 December 2022
• Be broadcast in English, or, in the case of other languages, be submitted with a short written summary in English.
• Be a single story. Providing multiple pieces that make up a series is not permitted. In such a situation, select one story from the series to enter.
A guild representative who is authorized to submit on behalf of the guild may fill out the current application form online, found on the IFAJ website. Submissions made with any outdated forms will not be accepted.
The following must also be included for the entry before the deadline;
● For audio files that are no more than 8MB, an .mp3 file of the story may be provided with the application.
● For entries that are larger than 8MB, the file must be uploaded to a website in a format that is readily available for playback (such as .mp3 or .wav), and the web link must be provided.
● Entries can be uploaded to a hosting website by the national guild and the web link can be provided to IFAJ with the contest application.
● For entries longer than 10 minutes, please identify a 4-to-10-minute segment you would like the judges to consider as the heart of your entry, this will be the portion judged for the contest.
● For entries not originally broadcast in English, please provide a short written summary in English. If translation into English is not available, contact the IFAJ Global Office as soon as possible: IFAJ will arrange and pay for translation for the summary and up to 4 minutes of a guild’s broadcast entry.
Entry deadline: February 28, 2023
• Content and style, including originality and creativity, relevance and audience appeal.
• Technical merit, focusing on the work of the journalist, and not the whole team involved in producing the whole story, including the way the journalist uses their voice, the structure of the story, and the relevance of supporting images.
• Objectivity and balance—reflects effort to research and present an informed and balanced report.
If you have any questions please contact the contest administrator using the form below.