The IFAJ/Caterpillar AgTech Reporting Award will recognize world-class reporting on the growing ‘agtech’ industry – the application of new technology in agriculture. Technology is transforming every industry, but only now is it really becoming visible in agriculture.
Advances in the use of drones and satellites, robotics, irrigation, bioenergy and decision-support tools, across the supply chain – many of them integrated with the ‘Internet of Things’ – all have the potential to help increase output, efficiency, quality, animal welfare, environmental benefits, seasonality and shelf life.
Generously sponsored by Caterpillar, entries to this new contest will be articles that convey the fast-developing nature of this sector and which best communicate its relevance and importance to key audiences such as farmers, investors, or consumers.
Entries may be print, video, audio or multimedia/online.
Submissions that have been entered for any of the Star Prize categories are not eligible for entry to this Award.
● Any member in good standing of a national association or guild that is a member of IFAJ may enter this contest.
● National agricultural journalist associations and guilds that are members of IFAJ may also submit one entry on behalf of their guild for this contest.
Deadline is February 21, 2020
There is no entry fee.
To be eligible, the entry must:
• Be a story about the growing ‘agtech’ industry – the application of new technology in agriculture.
• The story may be the work of more than one journalist.
• Have been published, broadcast or uploaded between January 1 and December 31, 2019.
• Be broadcast/written in English, or, in the case of other languages, be submitted with a short written summary in English. Translation is available through IFAJ (see below).
• Be a single story. Providing multiple pieces that make up a series is not permitted. In such a situation, select one story from the series to enter.
The winner of the IFAJ/Caterpillar AgTech Reporting Award will be presented a personal trophy from Caterpillar, and a cash prize of €1000. The runner up will be awarded a certificate and a cash prize of €250. The awards will be presented during the IFAJ Congress. Entrants need not be present to win.
● For individual submissions, the individual may fill out the current application form online, found on the IFAJ website. Submissions made with any outdated forms will not be accepted.
●For submission on behalf of a guild, a guild representative who is authorized to submit must fill out the current application form online, found on the IFAJ website. Submissions made with any outdated forms will not be accepted.
● If the entry was published in a language other than English, the entry must be accompanied by the complete translation. If translation into English, is not available, contact the IFAJ Global Office as soon as possible: IFAJ will arrange and pay for translation for a guild’s article/entry and the translated version will be sent back to the entrant for review before it is sent to the judges.
● For audio files that are no more than 8MB, an .mp3 file of the story may be provided with the application.
● For entries that are larger than 8MB, the file must be uploaded to a website in a format that is readily available for playback (such as .mp3 or .wav), and the web link must be provided.
● Entries can be uploaded to a hosting website and the web link can be provided to IFAJ with the contest application
● For broadcast/online entries longer than 10 minutes, please identify a 4-to-10-minute segment you would like the judges to consider as the heart of your entry. This will be the portion that is judged.
● For entries not originally written or broadcast in English, please provide a short written summary in English. If translation into English is not available, contact the IFAJ Global Office as soon as possible: IFAJ will arrange and pay for translation of the article, for the summary and up to 4 minutes of a broadcast entry.
Deadline for submissions is Feb 21, 2020
If you have any questions please contact the contest administrator using the form below.