Governance of the International Federation of Agricultural Journalists lies with three bodies:
The Delegate Assembly is the primary authority in IFAJ matters. It comprises representatives appointed by member associations, who represent, speak and vote on behalf of their association. The number of delegates is determined by the size of the association’s membership. The delegate assembly determines and approves all IFAJ business, including recommendations put to it by the Executive Committee. It is responsible for electing the members of the Presidium, in elections held every two years. It meets at least once a year, usually during the Annual Congress.
The Executive Committee is the administrative body of the IFAJ and is constituted from one representative appointed by each full member country, plus the members of the Presidium. The executive is responsible for carrying out decisions made by the delegate assembly, and for recommending items for approval. It meets at least twice a year
The Presidium comprises the Executive Officers. It ensures the fulfilment of the direction and decisions of the Executive Committee. Meetings of its officers are held every month by teleconference, with a physical meeting at least twice in every calendar year. The IFAJ presidium is made up of a President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. Each plays an integral role to help develop the strategic goals and pursue the mission of the organization. Elections for the Presidium are held every two years.
Presidium Roles and Responsibilities
- Presides at all delegate assembly, executive committee and presidium meetings; leads presidium and executive committee in directing and implementing policy decisions for the organisation; represents IFAJ at world events, farm shows, guild/association annual meetings and journalism conferences, or directs requests to others.
- Oversees membership outreach and the implementation of the IFAJ Vision 2025 strategy.
- Receives recommendations from membership committee and ensures recommendations are forwarded for discussion on the Presidium and Executive agenda. Ensures membership proposals are discussed and/or implemented by the executive committee and/or delegate assembly.
- Oversees communications activities (news, website, e-alerts, etc.) in coordination with communications committee chair; receives recommendations from communications committee and ensures communications proposals are discussed and implemented where appropriate by the executive committee and/or delegate assembly. Ensures the implementation of communications related to the IFAJ Vision 2025 strategy.
- Ensures recommendations made by the ad hoc committee on the update of the IFAJ constitution are discussed where appropriate by the executive committee and/or delegate assembly.
- Performs the duties of the President in the absence or at the direction of the president. Develops the future strategy of the organisation.
- Works with the global manager to prepare agendas for executive and delegate meetings. Inspires, supports and oversees professional development and education activities, and coordinates those efforts in cooperation with the PD&E chair. Chief administrator for contests, seminars, PD&E events and related travel. Responsible for the awards ceremony event.
- Ensures recommendations of the PD&E committee are discussed and implemented where appropriate by the executive committee and/or delegate assembly.
- Oversees and manages finances and budgets and coordinates those efforts with finance sponsorship committee; makes recommendations to presidium and executive committee based on budget changes or financial forecasts; ensures recommendations of the finance/sponsorship committee are discussed and implemented where appropriate by the executive committee and/or delegate assembly.
- The treasurer works closely together with the global manager in identifying sponsors and maintaining a good relationship with them.
- Ensures the implementation of support measures for Vision 2025 strategy.
In addition, the Global Office provides IFAJ’s administrative function from its base in Quebec, Canada.